Menu Side Navigation Close

International scholars at Lehigh University and their departments must report any changes to their employment to OISS, including job duties or responsibilities, work site or salary.

OISS will then request an amendment from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

For J-1 scholars only: Changes to your J-1 exchange program must be reported to OISS before the changes occur. Fulbright scholars need approval from their program sponsors before accepting any changes to their employment.

Employment Changes

If you are promoted to another position at Lehigh University or if your job duties change significantly, you must report the changes to OISS. If you receive a new job title, your department should issue a new employment letter to you. OISS will use that letter to request an amendment through USCIS.

You must get OISS approval before taking on new responsibilities. Failure to report changes can result in a loss of your status in the U.S.

If you have questions, contact us.

Program or Employment Extensions

J-1 Scholars

If you want to extend your program, your department must request an extension at least 60 days before the program end date on your DS-2019. Once OISS receives the request, we will issue a new DS-2019 if you qualify for an extension. If you request a program extension after the end date on your DS-2019, you will not be able to extend.

There is a time limit on each visa category. Extensions are only possible if you are well within the time limits.

H-1B Scholars

H-1B visas have an initial three-year limit. If you want to stay at Lehigh longer, your department must request an extension through OISS at least eight months before the expiration date on your I-797 receipt notice. Extensions can be given for an additional three years. The maximum time on H-1B is six years.