Menu Side Navigation Close

Learn about different housing options for students and scholars, on-campus and off.

Undergraduate on-campus Housing

First-year students and sophomores are required to live in university residence halls. During the summer before you enroll at Lehigh, the Office of Housing Services will contact you with information about on-campus housing. You can find more information about living on-campus can be found on the Housing Services website.

Juniors and seniors can live on- or off-campus. Upperclass students will need to apply to live on-campus. You can find more information about available housing and how to apply on the Housing Services website.

Graduate on-campus Housing

Full-time graduate students have two on-campus housing options on the Asa Packer Campus: Packer House (male students only) and 230 West Packer (female students only). Saucon Village apartments are near campus and house full-time graduate students in apartments that can accommodate married students and students with families. On-campus housing options are limited in number, so most graduate students choose to live off-campus. You can find more information about housing options as well as FAQs about how to apply for on-campus housing on the Housing Services website.        

Off-Campus Housing

The Housing Services website has substantial resources to help you find secure housing, including information about finding housing, the leasing process, services and utilities and safety tips. 

This list can be a good starting place for those seeking off-campus housing. Please note that all accommodations are subject to availability. This is not a complete list of all housing in the Lehigh Valley, and housing options in the area change regularly. OISS is not affiliated with and does not guarantee any off-campus housing services, features or safety.             

Keep in mind that you do not need to live within walking distance of Lehigh's campus. Lehigh students can use the local LANTA (Lehigh and Northampton Transit Authority) public transportation service using their Lehigh ID and free of charge. Please refer to the Transportation Office's website for more information.

For almost all off-campus housing, you will be required to sign a lease or a rental contract. Please be sure to read the lease thoroughly before signing. Once the lease is signed, you are legally bound to the conditions of the lease. Housing Services provides more information about reviewing the lease

To rent off-campus housing, you may also need to pay a security deposit, which is usually equivalent to at least one month's rent. This will most likely be returned to you at the end of the lease, given that the conditions of the lease and the house have been maintained. In addition to the security deposit, here are some other things you might need to consider while looking for an off-campus housing and/or signing the lease:    

  • Application fee
  • Pet fees
  • Parking spots/permits
  • Laundry services
  • Cost of utilities
  • Neighborhood
  • Elevator (if needed)
  • Gym (in the case of an apartment)
  • Proximity to a bus stop (if living away from South Bethlehem)
Basic Utilities

Basic utilities usually include electricity, water, gas, oil, heat and trash. Your lease should detail which of these utilities you will be responsible for in addition to your rent. In some cases, you might need to set up an account with the utility or service company. For students who have never lived in the United States and don’t have a Social Security Number or any credit history, the utility or service company may require a deposit in order to start services. Please be sure to check with your landlord about the details. They should provide you with contact information for the utility company(s) that service your address. Housing Services has more information about this.                                 


The first step to getting internet for your off-campus housing is to identify an internet provider. Some of the common providers are Xfinity, Verizon, Astound Broadband, Service Electric and Viasat. You will want to consider the following factors while making a decision: availability, speed, reliability, price, and customer service. Your landlord should be able to provide you with contact information of the companies that service your address. For students who have never lived in the United States and don’t have a Social Security Number or any credit history, the internet provider may require a deposit in order to start services.

Once you select your internet service provider, you will need additional equipment in order to connect to the internet. Most providers give you the option of renting equipment from them at an additional monthly cost, or you may be able to purchase your own equipment. When you sign up for your internet service, you will be given an option for how you want it installed. This may involve a technician coming to your home, or the provider may ship equipment to you to install yourself. Be sure to ask about any additional cost associated with setup and installation.

Internet providers will often give you a lower promotional rate for a certain period of time when you first sign up. Be sure to read your billing statement each month as this is how you will be notified of any changes to the cost of your service. If you have questions about your bill or see an unanticipated price increase, don’t hesitate to call the internet provider and ask about it.

Residential Address

Your residential address is important, and you should always keep it updated in Banner. Please update it within 10 days of moving. In most cases, your residential address will also be your mailing address. So that you can receive your mail, check with your landlord to see if you should list your name and any roommates’ names on your mailbox. If you move, you should report your change of address to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) so your mail can be forwarded. Please note that your change of address with the USPS does not automatically update state or personal records, so you will also need to update your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), your bank, etc.