ICAPE offers two types of workshops. We offer workshops for educators to help them improve their teaching skills. And, we offer workshops for multilingual students to help them improve their English language skills and achieve their academic goals.
ALL ICAPE WORKSHOPS ARE NOW VIRTUAL!
Email Us at email@example.com for Questions!
WORKSHOPS FOR EDUCATORS
ACT 48 Workshop for Teacher Development: Supporting Multilingual Students in Online Classes
Register for all three workshops and receive a 10% discount!
Transitioning to remote learning in a disrupted environment is a challenge for any faculty member. Online education is of a different nature than teaching in the classroom and from teaching courses that were designed for online delivery. This becomes increasingly challenging when teachers need to support students in multicultural online classrooms. Lehigh University's International Center for Academic and Professional English's three part ACT 48 workshop series supports education professionals working with multilingual students in multicultural classrooms and will provide strategies to help educators create more engaging, equitable, and interactive online experiences for students. Attendees will receive one Act 48 credit per session and three Act 48 credits for all three.
Part I: Strategies for Effective Intercultural Communication in Online Classrooms
July 15, 2020: 9:00 am - 10:00 am via Zoom ($25.00)
Part II: Designing Equitable and Engaging Online Assignments for Multilingual Students
July 22, 2020: 9:00 am - 10:00 am via Zoom ($25.00)
Part III: Level the Playing Field: Equitable Assessment in Multilingual Online Classes
July 29, 2020: 9:00 am - 10:00 via Zoom ($25.00)
Virtual Academic Literacies Workshops - Summer 2020
The International Center for Academic and Professional English offers online workshops on communication skills, cultural awareness and intercultural communication for students, faculty and staff. Workshops are free for members of the Lehigh University community and $25 for all others.
Advance Your Career: Intercultural Fluency in a Virtual World
This miniseries in collaboration with the Center for Career and Professional Development is facilitated by Ali Erk, Katharine Marianacci, Mary Newbegin, and Elena Reiss. Complete all four workshops to earn an Intercultural Fluency Certificate!
Online Etiquette and the Art of Small Talk– (via Zoom Online)
Wednesday, June 3 • 9:00 am - 10:00 am Eastern Time
*Online meetings can be challenging even for the most experienced speakers. Join us for an engaging discussion about how to make culturally competent virtual connections and gain insight into the art of small talk from various perspectives. This interactive workshop will present strategies to lower stress associated with virtual intercultural interaction.
Online Collaboration and Managing Conflict – (via Zoom Online)
Wednesday, June 10 • 9:00 am - 10:00 am Eastern Time
* Online collaboration can be really challenging. These potential challenges could lead to conflict. Effective collaboration requires negotiation, persuasion and conversation skills. This workshop will address sources of cultural misunderstanding and the art of compromise from a multilingual perspective. Join us as we explore the do’s and don’t of successful online conflict resolution.
Virtual Networking, Online Presence, and Engagement – (via Zoom Online)
Wednesday, July 8 • 9:00 am - 10:00 am Eastern Time
* Virtual networking is an art. This workshop will focus on strategies for expanding your network, your influence, and your engagement online. Please join us for an exploration of how small changes in your online presence can create a more positive intercultural networking experience.
Advanced Zoom: Successful Participation in Interviews and Online Meetings – (via Zoom Online)
Wednesday, July 15 • 9:00 am - 10:00 am Eastern Time
* Online meetings and interviews require confidence, multicultural awareness, and technological savvy. This workshop will explore ways to develop confidence, strategies for taking your Zoom to the next level, and making virtual connections. Join us for this final workshop that is sure to leave an impression.
Class Participation for Online Courses
Thursday, May 21 • 9:00 am - 10:15 am Eastern Time (Facilitators: Elena Reiss, Mark Ouellette)
* This workshop discusses strategies for effective class engagement and participation in an online format.
An Introduction to the Structure of Academic Papers
Thursday, June 4 • 9:30 am - 10:45 am (Facilitator: Ashley Murphy)
* This workshop is an introduction to the structure of academic papers, including Introductions/Lit Reviews, Methods sections, Results section, and also Problem-Solution structures.
Giving Academic Presentations
Wednesday, July 29 • 8:00 am - 9:15 am (Facilitators: Mary Newbegin, Kayla Landers)
* This workshop provides an introduction to giving academic presentations. Strategies for effectively presenting online will also be discussed.
Earn Your Summer Global Learner Badge!
Attend five workshops over the summer and earn a Summer Global Learner Badge and electronic signature!
To receive the badge:
• Attend five of our summer workshops
• Participate at least three times during each workshop (chat, polls, discussion, etc.)
• Complete each post-assessment survey
• Complete one final badge survey
• Add the badge to your email signature!