ICAPE offers workshops each semester and during the summer to help students improve their English language skills and achieve their academic goals. These workshops address the specific academic and social challenges of multilingual speakers and writers.
ALL ICAPE WORKSHOPS ARE NOW VIRTUAL!
Or Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org for Questions!
Spring 2020 English Workshops
Pesky Punctuation: How to Use Commas Effectively – (via Zoom Online)
Monday, March 30 - 9:00 - 10:30 am Eastern Time - Mark Ouellette from ICAPE
* Which sentence is correct?: "The climbers who reached the top of the mountain were tired" OR "The climbers, who reached the top of the mountain, were tired"? No idea? Then, come to this workshop and learn how to use punctuation in English to make your writing clear, understandable, and persuasive.
Colloquial English– (via Zoom Online)
Thursday, April 2 - 9:00 - 10:30 am Eastern Time- Antonio Ellison and Teresa Cusumano from ICAPE
*This workshop focuses on English often heard or used outside the classroom, especially as it relates to U.S. culture. Participants will discuss language usage in daily life and have opportunities to share their experience. How do you respond when asked, “What’s up?” Join ICAPE’s language specialists in exploring common English phrases and idioms as well as some of the language of Lehigh. All participants must register in advance.
Stay Social While Social Distancing: Joining the Virtual Conversation – (via Zoom Online)
Friday, April 3 - 7:30 - 8:30 pm Eastern Time- Teresa Cusumano from ICAPE
* There’s good news, and those of you who have been raised in the internet age have known it for years: it’s possible to have a social life through digital platforms. Although we can’t be near each other, it doesn’t mean we can’t be TOGETHER. Gather with friends and meet other Lehigh students who want to stay connected to campus as Lehigh finishes the 2020 spring semester online. Join us on April 3, 2020 at 7:30 pm for a Zoom conversation group.
Resume and Cover Letter Writing – (via Zoom Online)
Friday, April 10 - 9:00 - 11:00 am Eastern Time- Antonio Ellison, Elena Reiss, Mary Newbegin, Ali Erk and Katharine Marianacci from Career Services
* Join us for an interactive workshop designed to help students prepare and perfect their resumes and cover letters with ICAPE and Career Services professionals.
The 20 Most-Common Grammatical Errors in English plus English Brushup – (via Zoom Online)
Friday, April 17 - 9:00 - 10:30 am Eastern Time -- Mary Newbegin & Elena Reiss from ICAPE
* Back by popular demand! This workshop offers a comprehensive overview of the 20 most common errors made in English. Strategies for noticing and self-editing of errors will be addressed.
Using Verb Tense and Citations in Writing & Speaking – (via Zoom Online)
Thursday, April 23 - 9:00 - 10:30 am Eastern Time- Mark Ouellette from ICAPE
* What is the difference between the following sentences?: The Dalai Lama said, "The purpose of our lives is to be happy" vs. The Dalai Lama has said, "The purpose of our lives is to be happy" vs. The Dalai Lama says, "The purpose of our lives is to be happy." Which tense do you use? This is a particularly important question when citing sources in your writing and in your oral presentations. Attend this workshop and find out why.