ICAPE offers two types of workshops. We offer workshops for educators to help them improve their teaching skills. And, we offer workshops for multilingual students to help them improve their English language skills and achieve their academic goals.
ALL ICAPE WORKSHOPS ARE NOW VIRTUAL!
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org for Questions!
WORKSHOPS FOR EDUCATORS
ACT 48 Workshop for Teacher Development: Supporting Multilingual Students in Online Classes
Register for all three workshops and receive a 10% discount!
Transitioning to remote learning in a disrupted environment is a challenge for any faculty member. Online education is of a different nature than teaching in the classroom and from teaching courses that were designed for online delivery. This becomes increasingly challenging when teachers need to support students in multicultural online classrooms. Lehigh University's International Center for Academic and Professional English's three part ACT 48 workshop series supports education professionals working with multilingual students in multicultural classrooms and will provide strategies to help educators create more engaging, equitable, and interactive online experiences for students. Attendees will receive one Act 48 credit per session and three Act 48 credits for all three.
Part I: Strategies for Effective Intercultural Communication in Online Classrooms
TBD- via Zoom ($25.00)
Part II: Designing Equitable and Engaging Online Assignments for Multilingual Students
TBD-via Zoom ($25.00)
Part III: Level the Playing Field: Equitable Assessment in Multilingual Online Classes
TBD-via Zoom ($25.00)
Virtual Academic Literacies Workshops - FALL 2020
The International Center for Academic and Professional English offers online workshops on communication skills, cultural awareness and intercultural communication for students, faculty and staff. Workshops are free for members of the Lehigh University community and $25 for all others.
Developing Networking Skills – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Jen Topp and Elena Reiss)
-August 24th 7:00 am - 8:10 am (EST)
* Making connections is important, but how do you initiate contact with someone you don’t know? This workshop will offer networking tips and let participants expand their networks. In partnership with TOMODACHI-STEM.
Cross-cultural Communications in Virtual Collaborations– (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Ashley Murphy and Elena Reiss)
-September 3rd 7:30 am - 8:45 am (EST)
* Cross-cultural communication can be especially challenging in a virtual environment. This workshop will help participants to better understand cultural differences in communication styles. In partnership with TOMODACHI-STEM.
Speaking with Authority – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Ashley Murphy and Elena Reiss)
-September 11th 7:30 am - 8:45 am (EST)
* Speaking confidently in English is a skill that you can learn. This interactive workshop will offer tips for speaking with authority. In partnership with TOMODACHI-STEM.
Managing Online Conflict – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Ali Erk, Katharine Marianacci, Mary Newbegin and Elena Reiss)
-September 23rd 9:30 am - 10:30 am (EST)
* Online collaboration can be really challenging. These potential challenges could lead to conflict. Effective collaboration requires negotiation, persuasion and conversation skills. This workshop will address sources of cultural misunderstanding and the art of compromise from a multilingual perspective. Join us as we explore the do’s and don’t of successful online conflict resolution.
Incorporating Source Material – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Yvonne Lee, Ashley Murphy, Kayla Landers and Mary Newbegin)
-October 2nd 7:30 am - 8:45 am (EST)
* What does it mean to incorporate source material in an academic paper? Moving beyond the quote sandwich, participants will learn strategies to add to the academic conversation. In partnership with the Graduate Life Office.
Pesky Punctuation – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitator: Mark Ouellette)
-October 23rd Time TBD
* Punctuation can be pesky, but learning to use punctuation effectively can make all the difference when trying to get your point across. Join us for this useful seminar to increase the power in your writing.
Grammar Matters – (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitators: Mary Newbegin and Teresa Cusumano)
-November 6th 8:00 am - 9:15 am (EST)
* Grammar does matter! Join us for a hand-on workshop that will help you to apply grammatical rules in your writing.
TOPSS Workshop (via Zoom Online) - (Facilitator: Kayla Landers)
-November 20th 8:00 am - 9:30 am (EST)
* Prepare for the Presentation Skills and Making an Announcement sections of the Test of Pedagogical Speaking Skills (TOPSS).
An Introduction to the Structure of Academic Papers
Giving Academic Presentations
-Available upon request
* This workshop provides an introduction to giving academic presentations. Strategies for effectively presenting online will also be discussed.
5 X 10 Work Smarter, Not Harder: Skills and Strategies for Effective Learning
Join us and learn your personal learning style. Heightened self-awareness about how you learn best will help you engage and perform more effectively in the classroom.
Presented by ICAPE and OISS
-Friday, September 25th 9:00 am - 10:00 am (EST)
Join us by clicking here: https://bit.ly/5x10WorkSmarter