Images left to right: La Scala, Milan, Italy '2016; Costa Rica interns '2015.
Lehigh faculty and staff are invited to submit proposals to lead students on Group Iacocca Internships.
The deadline for summer 2018 proposals has passed
The following should be considered when developing group proposals:
- The program should have a professional component that may be defined as a practicum, research or internship.
- The experience offered should be non-credit-bearing.
- There should be a sustained duration abroad of at least six weeks, but preferably eight weeks or more.
- The budget should cover the complete cost of the internship for the student(s) and the Faculty/Staff Program Leader.
- Group size should be between 4 and 8 students.
Please be thorough in developing the proposal and include details in all categories of the template. Feel free to reference samples of past proposals. Additionally, Carol Ham, Director of International Internships, is available to support your efforts in developing the proposal.
Program and Student Selection
The International Internship Steering Committee will make recommendations to the Vice President of International Affairs in August regarding program selection. In the fall, marketing and recruitment of students will begin. Students will be evaluated through a holistic process, which includes the following considerations:
- Students with financial need are considered more closely than those with no or little need.
- Students with no previous experience abroad on a Lehigh-sanctioned program are considered before those who have had an experience abroad.
- Rising juniors and seniors will be considered before first-year students.
When developing your program, consideration can be made for additional full-pay students that will fall outside the realm of this internship program funding model.
Program Leaders are required to:
- attend a Program Leader Orientation in order to learn and understand updates to the university crisis management plan and protocols.
- facilitate the execution of Agreement between Lehigh University and the Host Organization and submit the signed Agreement to Office of General Counsel by March 31, 2018. Please work with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) if the standard agreement template needs to be customized / modified.
- book airfare for themselves and students. To the greatest extent possible, it is recommended that the group travel together at all times.
- manage expenses within budget and as a good steward of University resources. You will be asked to submit a detailed account of program costs to by August 31, 2018. This detailed account of the budget will include all invoices paid, airfare booked, program provider fees, meal allowances, etc.
- remain onsite for a minimum of one week at the start of the program and be accessible to students via telephone and email for the duration of the program, even when not on site.
Additonal, key responsibilities of a Program Leader include:
- internship design and approval,
- budgeting and financial management,
- at-site programming,
- at-site operations and logistics,
- student selection,
- country-specific orientation, and
- program evaluation.
The program office will support Program Leaders with marketing and outreach, student applications, coordinating airfare, collection of necessary student forms and paperwork, financial management as needed for payment of invoices, and a general student pre-departure orientation.