At Lehigh, we don’t teach theory in a vacuum—we want students to learn to apply their skills to real-world challenges. This is the foundation of the Iacocca International Internship Program, providing hands-on, global work experiences for students.
How do you go about building global leadership? How do you demonstrate to people from different worlds that their commonalities are greater than their differences? By putting together cross-cultural situations, students work through their cultural differences. They say yes to globalization, yes to cooperation. The students’ enthusiasm is infectious and I would like to think it will infect the world.
IIIP was started in 2012 from Lee Iacocca’s vision and endowment.
Key Highlights of Program
- Mostly funded international internships (in-person and virtual) for students
- Student work experience tied to a global organization
- Group internships led by Lehigh faculty and staff centered around theme, location or research
- Prioritizes access for students with financial need or limited experience abroad
- Provides wrap-around support for students, including support from IIIP staff, collaboration with faculty/staff and host organizations to ensure student success
The Iacocca International Internship Program received the 2019 Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education from the Institute for International Education (IIE) for student mobility. IIE recognized the program as a leader in student mobility for giving students a competitive advantage in the job market by providing professional experiential learning in the global marketplace.
By the Numbers
Iacocca International Internship Program
students have participated in the program
countries have been internship locations
of program participants have some financial need