At Lehigh, and through the Iacocca International Internship Program, students have an opportunity to apply their skills to real-world challenges. Iacocca Interns contribute to global organizations while immersing themselves in a different culture for 6-10 weeks over the summer.
How do you go about building global leadership? How do you demonstrate to people from different worlds that their commonalities are greater than their differences? By putting together cross-cultural situations, students work through their cultural differences. They say yes to globalization, yes to cooperation. The students’ enthusiasm is infectious and I would like to think it will infect the world.
Mr. Lee Iacocca ’45 (1924-2019)
IIIP was endowed in 2011 with the mission of enabling all Lehigh students to have a global work experience. The program works with students who have financial need and/or have limited experience outside their home country.
Key Highlights of Program
- Mostly funded international internships for students
- Aimed at enhancing student's career readiness and intercultural competency
- Student work experience tied to a global organization
- Group internships led by Lehigh faculty and staff
- Prioritizes access for students with financial need or limited experience abroad
- Provides wrap-around support for students, including support from IIIP staff, collaboration with faculty/staff and host organizations to ensure student success
The Iacocca International Internship Program received the 2019 Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education from the Institute for International Education (IIE) for student mobility. IIE recognized the program as a leader in student mobility for giving students a competitive advantage in the job market by providing professional experiential learning in the global marketplace.
By the Numbers
Iacocca International Internship Program
students have participated in the program
countries have been internship locations
of program participants have some financial need