Our pathway programs help non-native English speakers from high school to adult meet their academic or professional goals.
StepUp Intensive English
StepUp Intensive English helps both conditionally admitted and non-degree-seeking students improve their English skills so they can be fully admitted to a university degree program. It integrates skills and academic socialization to improve students’ management of academic content and help them get ready to succeed in an academic community.
- Learn from professionals in small classes that ensure maximum individualized attention.
- Improve your academic English skills so you can read and write at the university level with ease.
- Clearly distinguish between the "book" English you already know and the "real-life" English spoken by Americans.
- Leave your academic lectures without having missed a word.
- Develop time management and study strategies that will enable you to tackle the heavy workloads of a top university.
- Increase your TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Explore America and its culture through off-campus trips to destinations such as New York and Philadelphia.
- Receive academic advising in order to be better prepared to apply to a US university and be successful in the classroom.
- Enjoy access to all Lehigh University library, computer, and fitness facilities during your StepUp program.
College Success Academy
College Success Academy is an intensive English language summer program for high school students and recent graduates (ages 16-18) who are preparing to attend college in the United States. Participants live and learn on the campus of Lehigh University, one of the nation’s premier research universities, and take two university courses for credit that fulfill first-year core requirements at Lehigh and many other U.S. schools.
- Improve your academic English language and study skills
- Earn transferable college credit at a reduced summer tuition rate
- Experience U.S. university culture and interact with other students
- Learn about U.S. universities and consult with advisors and admissions counselors
- Work on your college application essay
- Practice taking standardized English language tests such as TOEFL or IELTS
- Earn a program certificate, apply for a college transcript and receive teacher recommendation letters
Professional Communication Programs
We also develop specially tailored programs for adults that focus on English for professional purposes so participants can reach the next level in their careers. Courses are available on campus or online and can be customized to meet the needs of individual fields.