Programs range from teaching in Cambodia (left) to community development in Indonesia (center) to working with biofuels in Malaysia (right)
The international internships are fully funded through the Iacocca Foundation, the Freeman Foundation and many generous donors.
The funding covers your airfare, housing, meals and on-ground transportation for the duration of your internship. Your only expenses are your passport, visa, additional excursions at your discretion, souvenirs, and other incidentals. Accommodations vary depending on the internship, but may be a home-stay, apartment, dorm, hostel or hotel.
Credit is not offered for internships, but students may seek credit as an independent study with an academic adviser and pay the required tuition.
Internships are full-time and unpaid. However, a modest stipend may be available to students with financial need. This stipend is meant to offset a portion of lost summer income, but not wholly replace that income dollar-for-dollar. It is based on the extent of the student’s need as indicated by the Financial Aid Office and the duration of their internship.
Internship assignments are available in many locations and disciplines. Learn more about the placement opportunities here.
Students can apply for one internship or note a first choice and a second choice. However, if you provide a second choice on your application, it will be assumed that you will accept that placement if it’s offered, so only place a second choice if you fully intend to accept it.
- September 26: Internship opportunities posted
- October 1, 9, 14: Information sessions
- October 22: Student Showcase
- November 21: Applications due
- January 7: Internship selection announced
- Spring: Orientation and advising sessions
- Summer: Students embark on internship
- August: Students and sponsors provide feedback on experience
The Steering Committee will review all completed applications using holistic approach to select students, with consideration being given to the following criterion:
- Students who have not previously participated in a Lehigh-sanctioned program abroad
- Students who have financial need
- Alignment of the internship position with student's academic background and experience
- Students in good academic and behavioral standing with Lehigh University