The search for new Youth Representatives takes place in April. The application form will be posted below, and the search will be announced through the Office of International Affairs weekly bulletin.
To apply for a Youth Representative position, you should meet the following criteria:
- 3.2 GPA or above
- Available to travel to the UN in NYC at least once per month
- Keen interest in international activities and proven ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Available to serve for the entire academic year
- Under the age of 32 (per UN requirements)
Call for Applications
The call for applications for new Youth Representatives is now available: 2017-18 Application. NGOs seeking representation include:
- Augustinians International
- Center for Public Health
- Lehigh University
- Peace Boat
- World Corrosion Organization
In addition to completing the form, you will be asked to submit a résumé and a brief (2-minute max) video. To learn more about the NGOs seeking representation, visit their websites.
The first round of review will be conducted by Lehigh's Youth Representative Program Director. Finalists will be reviewed by the NGO director. She or he will make the final selection.
Competition for these positions is keen. There are more strong candidates than vacant positions, so students who present compelling applications can, unfortunatley, be turned away. However, there are things you can do to ensure that you present the best application possible:
- Present yourself professionally in your video. Remember that this video might be all that the NGO director sees of you. Present yourself in such a way that he or she can envision you engaging with other NGO directors and UN officials at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
- Send a polished résumé. If you are concerned that your résumé might be lacking, book an appointment with Career Services.
- Tailor your application, especially your video, to the NGO. Learn all that you can about the NGO to which you are applying, and make it clear why you are the right fit for this organization.
- Chat with a current Youth Representative. They can give you insight into the program.
- Sign up for one of the weekly visits to the United Nations. Demonstrate your interest in the United Nations by becoming active in the Lehigh-United Nations partnership before you apply for a Youth Representative position.
- Familiarize yourself with the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Evaluate your schedule to ensure that you are able to be at the United Nations once per month.