January 31, 2017
To Our Campus Community:
As you read in the Message to Campus Regarding Presidential Executive Order, Lehigh remains committed to the exchange of international students and scholars as an integral component of our mission of teaching, research and service.
Lehigh is home to students and scholars from most of the seven countries listed in the executive order: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. We are working closely with those individuals in the following ways to help them navigate the effects of the order:
- We have advised passport holders from the countries affected by the executive order to avoid travel outside the United States until we know more about possible extensions of the ban. There may be an expansion of the list to more nationalities in the future. We are advising international students and scholars from countries not currently affected by the EO that the situation remains fluid. If these individuals are considering international travel, we are asking that they contact the staff with International Students and Scholars regarding their individual situation.
- We have created a list of answers to common questions on the OIA website, and we will keep it updated as things change. This is the place that members of Lehigh community should go to for the most current information that we are providing students and scholars about immigration and other campus and community issues.
- Lehigh has convened a committee that will continue to closely examine this order and implications for our students and scholars. The committee members are:
- Cheryl Matherly, Vice President and Vice Provost for International Affairs
- Ian Birky, Interim Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Director, Counseling & Psychological Services
- John Coulter, Associate Dean for Research and Operations, P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science
- Steve DeWeerth, Dean of the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science
- Samba Dieng, Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars
- Pat Farrell, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Linda Harbrecht, Director of Communications
- Heather Hosfeld, Deputy General Counsel
- Kathleen Hutnik, Associate Dean and Director of Graduate Student Life
- Fred McGrail, Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs
- Ray Pearson, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research
- Frank Roth, General Counsel
- Alan Snyder, Vice President and Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies
- We are ensuring that the staff with the International Students and Scholars Office are available to answer individual questions. You can call us at 8-2981, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate the support that members of the Lehigh community are showing to international students from these countries and beyond during this period of high uncertainty. We will continue to keep you updated as the circumstances evolve or new information becomes available.
Vice President and Vice Provost for International Affairs