My name is Mary Newbegin. I have been teaching for 33 years, working with international students for 18 years, and working at Lehigh since 2011. This will be my fourth summer as a VCSA instructor, and it is one of my favorite courses to teach. In fact, I had the good fortune of developing the curriculum in 2020 with one of my colleagues. A little bit about me: I grew up near Philadelphia, and I have always loved to read and learn about other languages and cultures. My first study abroad experience happened when I was in high school and I spent a semester in France. I currently live in Lehigh County with my husband and one of my two grown sons. We love to traveling, hiking, and biking. I am also a Yoga instructor and an artist.
Pennsylvania State University and the University of Turabo, Puerto Rico
B.S., Secondary Education
Pennsylvania State University
Philosophy of Teaching
It comes down to respect and creating a community of learning where people grow and support each other. This includes teachers, and as we learn from and about our students, we develop awareness. This insight enables us to customize our instruction accordingly because a true learning community is a place where one is recognized as an individual.
- Second Language Writing
- Pragmatics and Culture
- Art in SL Learning
- 2018, April 24. "Teaching ESL Writers Research Through Eco-Composition." Environmental Responsibility Professional Learning Network Newsletter, no. 8. With Ashley Murphy, Teresa Cusumano, and Kayla Landers
- "Lesson Plan: Collaborative Writing with a Mission," PTE Voices Spring 2017
Recent Professional Presentations
- 2019: "Using Panopto as a Teaching Tool" Symposium on Teaching and Learning, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- 2019: "Using Google Course Kit" Symposium on Teaching and Learning, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- 2019: "Beyond Words: Using Art in the Language Classroom" Symposium on Teaching and Learning, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- Collaborative Writing with a Mission, Presentation, PennTESOL East Spring Fling 2017: Innovating and Educating for Change, Temple University, April 22, 2017
- Engaging Students Through Organic Gardening, Presentation, PennTESOL East Spring Fling 2017: Innovating and Educating for Change, Temple University, April 22, 2017
- StepUp Intensive English Program - International Peace Garden, Presentation, 2017 Symposium on Teaching and Learning: Community-engaged Teaching, Learning and Research, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, April 19, 2017
- Dispelling Stereotypes Through Community Interactions, Presentation, Community-engaged Learning and Research Symposium, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, April 25, 2016
- Teaching Environmental Responsibility in an Intensive English Program Through Organic Gardening, Poster Presentation, Community-engaged Learning and Research Symposium, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, April 25, 2016
- Teaching English Through Environmental Education, Presentation, TESOL 2016 International Convention & English Language Expo, Baltimore, MD, April 8, 2016
- Teaching Environmental Responsibility in an Intensive English Program Through Organic Gardening, Poster Presentation, LVAIC Sustainability Conference, Lehigh University: Bethlehem, PA, February 20, 2016
Additional Selected Professional Presentations
- Penn TESOL 2012 (Philadelphia, PA) The Art forming Process
- TESOL 2013 (Dallas, TX) Effective Peer Review: Harmonizing Cultural and Linguistic Understanding
- TESOL 2014 (Portland, OR) Graduate Business Programs at Lehigh University
- TESOL 2016 (Baltimore, MD) Learning English through Environmental Education
- LVAIC 2016 (Lehigh University) Poster Session: The International Peace Garden
- The Community Engagement Learning Symposium 2016 (Lehigh University): Dispelling Stereotypes Through Community Interactions
- 2018: "Collaborative Writing Using Art in Freshman Composition Classes" (TESOL International, Chicago, IL)
English, French, some Spanish