February 2, 2017
The current climate worldwide is causing uncertainty for many of us. As stated in the Lehigh Message to Campus on Presidential Executive order and Message from the Office of International Affairs, Lehigh remains committed to supporting all of our students. Within the offices of Study Abroad and International Internships, we remain committed to global engagement. In this time, it is more important than ever for students to broaden their global perspectives, develop better understanding of other cultures, and enhance your Lehigh career with an international experience.
We understand that students who are currently abroad, or those with future travel plans, may be experiencing questions, concerns, or fielding questions about the American climate. Student safety and security is a top priority for Lehigh. A dedicated team of individuals at Lehigh regularly monitors world events to assess current security conditions in all Lehigh program locations and surrounding areas, as well as responds to emergencies and critical incidents that may happen during the course of a program. All Lehigh sponsored Abroad Programming is continuing as planned.
Advice for Lehigh international students considering international travel is available in the Message from the Office of International Affairs.
Ultimately, the choice of going abroad is a decision made by students in consideration of all factors including financial, academic, and health and safety. Our office remains available to discuss any questions you may have regarding your participation in international experiences. Additionally, Lehigh offices across campus are available for consultation and support throughout the decision process and abroad experience:
- Lehigh’s Study Abroad advising team is available to answer questions and guide you to resources available: http://global.lehigh.edu/studyabroad/contact, 610-758-3351, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Director and Assistant Director of the Iacocca International Internship Program (IIIP) are also available to answer questions and guide students through the process: email@example.com; or call (610) 758-3467.
- Lehigh International Students and Scholars team are available to answer individual questions for our international students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lehigh University Counseling Center remains a resource for routine needs; they are also available 24/7 for crisis response.
- Additional Lehigh support services available to you are listed here.
- Office of International Affairs has created a list of answers to common questions specific for immigration: immigration and Visa Q&A.
- Lehigh’s medical and security partner, ISOS, is available for consultation on issues related standard medical or security questions (but not immingration issues which should be directed to Lehigh); they also offer support in response if you are in crisis. CONTACT ISOS 24 hours a day for emergency or routine needs: 1-215-942-8478. You will need to provide Lehigh's membership number:11BYSG000004
Best wishes with your international experience.
Carol Ham, Director, International Internships
Katie Radande, Director, Study Abroad